Tuesday, November 10, 2009

And where does time go, exactly?


Birthday Smiles

My baby turned 1 last month. I was more excited for his birthday than I was for my own--I wanted people to remember him and his special day. Thanks to those who called or sent gifts--it meant a lot to his momma! We are really enjoying this stage and loving his sweet personality. He is generally a very happy boy. I haven't been the greatest recorder of his life's events, milestones or things about him that make us laugh. So, I'm going to attempt to recall a few things from this past year. More for me and McRae to look back on than for anything else.

  • You were a good sleeper from the get go! Thank goodness because this momma needs her sleep. The miracle blanket was our best friend until about three months when you started resisting it. After that, you started waking up a little more frequently and you had to learn to sleep without it. After about two weeks, you adapted well and were back to sleeping like a champ...waking once for a feeding around 5AM and then back to sleep you went!
  • At month 4, you started to become a little fussy--which was pretty different for you. I noticed that you would cry almost every time I burped you and I just thought you didn't like to burp. (Silly first-time mom mistake!) Your dad actually pointed out that he thought your diapers were fitting a little more loosely than they had in previous weeks. Turns out he was right...you lost about a pound over two months because momma's milk supply had diminished without her knowing--and your protests during burping were simply your way of saying that you hadn't yet reached satiety. (You dropped from the 90th percentile to the 50th, and I felt horrible!) Sorry buddy! We started supplementing with formula once or twice a day and I worked really hard to boost my supply. You soon started solids and you began putting on weight like a champ.
  • From a very young age you loved to pinch. You always seemed to find the most sensitive spot on my arm and pinch it. Ouch! Today, you still like to pinch and we are trying to break you of the annoying habit.
  • You also loved to gnaw on my face. One time in church, you were standing on my lap. You grabbed my hair with both of your hands, pulled my face towards yours and just attacked! I was completely defenseless because my hands were busy balancing you on my lap. It cracked all the RS sisters up and one had to come to my rescue. To this day, you will occasionally bite, but I think we are over the hill on that one--it's mostly related to your teething. (Which you happen to be doing right now. You have 6 teeth--four up top, two below, and another one that's just about to poke through on the bottom.) Thank goodness!
  • You are one tough cookie! You take some pretty hard falls and dad plays pretty rough with you sometimes, but you are so resilient. You were never afraid of walking due to hard falls--you just kept plugging away at it until you got it. You still look like a drunken sailor at times, and have the bruises to prove it, but nothing's stopping you--you're on a mission.
  • You wanted to walk before you crawled. You mastered pulling yourself up on things before you could crawl and you would try to stand and/or crawl on your feet and hands (bear crawl) instead of your hands and knees. It was so fun to watch you discover how to make your limbs work!
  • You have an ear fetish and love to pull on your ears. (That's how I determined you would be Yoda for Halloween when you were just 5 months old. You pulled your ears out and looked just like him!) I guess I'll never really know if you have an earache, because it won't be any different than what you normally do. You particularly like to touch your ears while you're eating...which means you get all kinds of food and gunk in your ears. It's not the easiest to clean and the fact that you hate having your face wiped doesn't help!
  • You love people! If people are around, then you want to be a part of the action. You will skip naps or delay bed time and remain completely content as long as there are new people around to play with. You kind of like being the center of attention and I'm pretty sure that comes from your dad's side of the family! Ha ha!
  • You absolutely love your dad...and the feeling is mutual. You've pretty much got him wrapped around your finger and he will do anything for you. Your relationship with your father is one of my most favorite things in this world! I love that you love each other so much.
  • You are the most amazing traveler. You love to be out and about--in a car, in a stroller, in a shopping cart! You also love to be outdoors. Mom would just turn you loose out back without supervision but you tend to stuff handfuls of rocks in your mouth. Crazy kid!
  • You really are so kind to other people. I've never seen you hit or slap another child. I'm sure it helps that you don't have an older sibling to show you the ropes as far as aggression is concerned. But, I hope you always remain just as sweet as you are right now.
  • Playing chase and hide-and-go-seek are some of your favorite things to do as of late. You have the most heart warming giggle and excited squeal...and they are always present when playing chase.
  • You are starting to get somewhat opinionated and will occasionally throw a brief tantrum when removed from a potentially destructive situation.
  • You have a love for music. Since you were very young, you seemed to respond to music. Whenever you hear a tune or a beat, you'll be sure to shake your body or stomp your feet.
  • Most of all, you really just have the most mellow, sweetest spirit. You've been a "go with the flow" kind of guy from the get-go. You are so easy to get along with and people frequently comment on what a sweet disposition you have. Some have even gone as far as saying you make them feel at ease when you are around because of your tender spirit. You definitely bring an added measure of joy, peace and love into our home. It just wouldn't be the same without you!
I'm sure there is so much more that I am missing, but you just woke up from your nap and I need to go and get you. Thanks for filling our lives with joy and teaching us more about the important things in life than we ever could've learned after a lifetime of study without you. We love you!


Enjoying a Cold Stone Creamery Cupcake. I've wanted to try these since I first saw them and what better excuse to get them then my son's birthday. I don't have to make a cake or deal with having left-overs! Perfect! Although, they were good, they were somewhat of a let down...not quite the Cold Stone quality I know and love, and the price was outrageous! Probably the only thing that was consistent with cold stone--the price!



It didn't stop McRae from finishing every last bite!



Post cake clean up.



Birthday loot--lots of books, a few clothes and some new toys! The Dumbo book and the nerf football were from Uncle Brandon and Aunt Marcy--thanks guys!



This cute shirt arrived in the mail from Idaho a few days after McRae's birthday. Thanks Aunt Kensey!



This cute little chair came from Nana and Papa. You should see the look of triumph on his face when he climbs up all by himself. Of course, he loves to stand up on it and rock away--so far, only one fall, but I'm sure there will be more to come. Good thing he's tough. Thanks Nana and Papa!

11 comments:

Heather said...

Happy Birthday to McRae! What a cutie, love his gorgeous eyes and my fave pic is his utter delight in the bath.

jenichild said...

So cute! I feel like I know him so much better now :). And thanks for the heads up on the cupcakes- I had been eyeing those for a while too. Happy Birthday McRae!!!

AudyCamp said...

His eyes are so pretty!!...i mean handsome. :) And I know exactly what part of the arm he pinches. Jax does the same thing & it kills me. Happy Birthday to your cutie pie & congrats on your marathon..2 great accomplishments!

Heather C. said...

So cute! I can't believe he's ONE! Happy Birthday McRae.

Candace said...

What a sweet post, Janette, for your SWEET boy! Isn't that mom/son bond somethin' else??! Happy birthday, McRae!!!

Heather K said...

Looks like a great birthday! He is so dang cute! His bath picture looks so Lesuer to me.

Cherise said...

my boys LOVE rocking chairs. Especially ones their size. So cute. Happy Birthday.

Becca LeSueur said...

He's too cute for his own good! And what great parents you and Brian are too. We're so glad he's part of the clan and growing up healthy and happy!

Angela said...

Wow!!! I can't believe he's already one and I haven't even got to meet him yet. We really need to get together. The countdown is on now, only six more months until our big move. You look great in those pictures and your little guy is quite the handsome boy! I'm glad you guys are doing good.

Kimberly said...

Can't believe he's one! He just keeps getting cuter and cuter. I also LOVE the bath pic. Adorable!

Kristy Robinson Chandler said...

This was such a cute summary of his first year! It seems like it isnt possible for him to be one already...congrats to his parents, too:)