Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Adventures in Utah

We decided to take a little vacation this summer to cooler climates.  My June marathon provided the perfect opportunity to do just that.  After the race was over, we stuck around for another week to enjoy some sights, some visits with loved ones, and of course, the cooler weather!  We really didn't want to come back and I started plotting ways to convince my entire family to move to Utah with us.  I didn't get too far before I was reminded that I would need to visit UT in the winter time and see if I still felt the same way.  Well, can we just be summer-birds, at least?  You know it's bad when the first word your 20-month old utters upon exiting the car in AZ is, "HOT!"  Yeah, McRae, it was definitely hot and not like what we'd been enjoying for the past week or so.

Highlights of the trip:
  • We became gun owners.  Thanks to our good friend, Paul, for his buying advice and expertise, Brian came home with not one, but two guns--a shot-gun and a rifle.  I'm not complaining...they are awful fun to shoot and now we're one step closer to feeling prepared and self-reliant.  Not to mention, that rifle will come in handy on our elk hunt this year...that's right folks, we drew out!  Self-reliance here we come!
  • Visiting with the Bastian's and the Howell's.  Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of either family.  Rats!
  • Hiking in the beautiful mountains!
  • Visiting Joey and Lisa's family (Brian's Uncle and Aunt).  McRae loved their son, Tucker and I think Tucker felt the same way about McRae.  This just might be where McRae's hat obsession started...he always wanted to wear Tucker's hat.  
  • Visiting the MTC.
  • Taste-testing at the BYU creamery.  It did not disappoint.  
  • And most importantly...a lot of R&R...just what we needed.  
A big thanks to all those who hosted us and made our stay so enjoyable (Hendersens, Bastians, and Skinners).  It was a perfect trip!  And now for our trip in pictures....

On our way to Stuart Falls.

McRae wrestling with Tucker before bedtime.  McRae borrowed some of Tucker's clothes for PJ's.

 The highly sought after hat.  Do these boys look like cousins or what?

McRae had just started getting a little testy before this shot was taken.  I remember thinking, "Can we just drop him off now and come back in about 20 years?"  Not really...we love our sweet boy!

 Taste-testing at the creamery...

And our stamp of approval!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Love Utah in the summer! What a nice getaway; ice cream, friends & family, cooler weather and the great outdoors. Can't go wrong!