Anyone ever seen that skit from SNL called "How Much Ya Bench?" Lately, I feel like my life is a re-run of that skit. For some reason, several people (mostly from work) have randomly inquired about how much I can bench press. This is kind of an awkward question to ask someone...especially a female, but it got me thinking...."just how much can I bench?" I guess growing up with boys puts that little competitive spark in a girl! Anyway, my answer was pretty lame, "I don't know. Last time I tried I was 17 and I put up 135." WOW! That was 8 years ago! So, I got to thinking..."I've been lifting a lot lately, why not give it a shot?" Tonight was the night!
Brian and I got home from work, relaxed and bit and headed down to the basement to try it out. I warmed up with a light set of 10 reps. Then I did some more reps with heavier weights and once I felt warmed up, we were off to setting new records! I was able to bench 155 lbs tonight! A new personal best! I can see how people can get a little too addicted to this...it was fun! However, no worries! I don't plan on becoming a body builder or anything....but I may try to get 160 again! I just barely missed it and I think my muscles were just too fatigued at the time.
Friday, February 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Wow, you are strong! Last time I tried weight lifting was freshman PE in high school, and I could barely bench the bar. :) That is so cool that you can lift that much! Are you going to try to keep going and get to a target weight?
I've never really had a goal for the bench press other than just being able to bench approximately my own body weight. I've always known that for a female, that is a pretty big feat! So, I am just thrilled with my new record!
Jet,
I finally found your blog! Not that is was hard to find but that I only wish I had more time to blog! I am a slacker! It was fun to read that you are throwing some weights around again
That's awesome, Janette! I think it's been about 8 years for me, too, since I've maxed out. Although mine was more like...115. :)
Post a Comment