
4 Generations
This picture was taken at a Mayberry Family Reunion this past weekend. At the reunion, my mother and her siblings celebrated the life of my grandmother, Gwendolyn Young Mayberry. In commemoration of her life and her passing a decade ago, they each shared thoughts and memories of their angel mother. I never really knew my Grandma Gwen. She suffered from the devastating effects of Alzheimer's Disease at a very young age. By the time I was old enough to really know and appreciate her, the disease was too far advanced. The only positive memories I have are a few fuzzy and fleeting memories as a very young child and the pre-Alzheimer's stories that other family members have shared with me. I came away from this reunion with a new found respect for my grandmother. She truly was amazing! As stories and memories were shared, I couldn't help but realize how much my mother is so much like her very own. I never knew that some of the things my mother does or says are because her mother did or said them too...and they are some of the things I love the most about my mom! Here are a few of the things that my mother learned from her mother....and that I hope to have learned from mine:
I am increasingly impressed with the legacy that has been left in my behalf. I truly have some amazing men and women in my personal pedigree. While they all differ in personalities, characteristic traits, strengths and weaknesses, they each have left an indelible impression in my life...all of which are very positive! This fact gives me great hope that I, too, can leave a rich heritage for my posterity. And so I've been pondering these rhetorical questions a lot as of late:
- Incredible frugality--know how to make a penny s t r e t c h.
- Industrious--from homemaking, to child rearing, to garden growing, to clothes sewing...they do it all and they do it really well.
- Extreme loyalty to family (I think I have this one conquered...my family is pretty awesome...and don't you dare try to tell me otherwise!)
- Intense love for learning--and basically to never stop learning!
- A love for wildflowers
- Good communicators
- Just being there for your children--I think every child (all nine of them) mentioned their mother being home when they returned home from school and just how much that meant to them. I hope I can practice the same degree of self-discipline to be there and to be interested...even when other things seem more enticing.
I am increasingly impressed with the legacy that has been left in my behalf. I truly have some amazing men and women in my personal pedigree. While they all differ in personalities, characteristic traits, strengths and weaknesses, they each have left an indelible impression in my life...all of which are very positive! This fact gives me great hope that I, too, can leave a rich heritage for my posterity. And so I've been pondering these rhetorical questions a lot as of late:
- Am I living a life that will be remembered for good in many years to come?
- What impression will I leave upon my posterity?
- Can I bestow the gift that has been given to me upon my lineage?
- What is the most important thing that I want my descendants to know about me without a doubt?

10 comments:
AMEN!! I SO wish I could have been there. We are so blessed, Jet.
By the way, you look awesome! :)
I really enjoyed your post. It made me reflect on how blessed I am to have such righteous examples in my life. And I can't argue w/ you, your family is pretty awesome!
I'm jealous! I've been wanting to get a generation picture w/ my Grandma Haddock, Grma Higgi, mom, me, and Kate! Five generations of lovely females. Hopefully this summer...
GREAT post Jet! I wish I could've been there! Love ya!
What a good idea to write down all those thoughts and memories. I remember your grandma a little too. Sounds like a neat reunion.
I've before and I'll say it again - you look so good! Beautiful inside and out!
I love the 4 generation picture. What a good-looking group. I should have Dan do that with the boys and Mima. Great idea. You are a wonderful person with a wonderful heritage!
I've always admired your family/extended family! You've got some great roots :O) How's training going? Wish we were doing it together!!!
Hi Janette. You look so great. Are you back to being a nurse now or have you decided to stay home? Good to see you all are doing well.
Awww, jet-jet, thanks!! I love you so much!! I'm thinking we should start a Richey-LeSueur Reunion, since I never get to see you guys anymore. And I totally miss Uncle Mike stories and songs. I try to tell the zipper story to other people and I just can't do it justice. We should video it sometime for posterity's sake, don't you think?
Yeah Jet, I would def cut it! I have such thick hair that it is so hot in the summer! Plus it's fun to change it up. You would look super cute. Marathon huh? Wow you are awesome! I'm training for a 10k! That's what kind of a lazy butt I am! I hate running....unless it's in basketball! HA!
Hey jet its shay.... visit my blog at seriouslysoenchanted.blogspot.com... Love Ya
Post a Comment