Isn't this the cutest little patient you've ever seen? The week before Thanksgiving, McRae had surgery to correct his hypospadias. His was a rather minor case, thankfully, but painful nonetheless. The surgery lasted about 2 hours. Thankfully, our Skinner Grandparents were there to keep mom and dad occupied--that could've been a really long 2 hours. The surgeon said the surgery went great and 30 minutes later, we were on our way home! (Well, really, just to Dan and Louise's. There aren't any pediatric urologists in our city, so we had to seek out a surgeon in the valley. Plus, we wanted to stay close to the Dr. and hospital in case of any complication(s).)

After seeing my baby in this gown, I'm almost certain that the reason all gowns are made with an opening in the back is because they modeled them on babies first. Too bad the whole split tail thing isn't very cute as the patient ages. Trust me...I know! (Too many stories about that!)

I wish I had more pictures of him after the surgery. But this picture, taken just before surgery, is a pretty good example. I'm telling you, I birthed an angel! The kid was amazing. Just minutes after returning home, he wanted to eat and play with his cousins. He wasn't supposed to be able to walk for a few hours because he received a spinal block (similar to an epidural) during surgery and his legs were limp noodles. But, that kid was determined and he wanted to be on the go! A good indicator of what a little, busy body he is--even when he's sick! When he's healthy...look out!

This is the cutest patient this nurse has ever cared for! Post-surgery he had a catheter which drained his urine. It stayed in for 5 days. We used a double diaper technique to keep things hygienic, as it was an open system. The first diaper caught the bulkier bodily rejects. We cut a small hole in the front of it and placed the catheter and his bandaged goods through it. The urine then drained into the second diaper. It actually worked really well.
His recovery would have been pretty smooth sailing, but he ended up with a nasty cold just two days post-op (his very first URI--pretty amazing that we made it that long). And, to add insult to injury and kick a boy while he's down, all four molars decided to make their debut. I longed for my sweet, happy boy to return--two weeks later, I got my wish!
We've since had our follow-up with the MD, and he says everything's looking great and doesn't think he'll need another surgery. Three cheers for getting it done right the first time!
His recovery would have been pretty smooth sailing, but he ended up with a nasty cold just two days post-op (his very first URI--pretty amazing that we made it that long). And, to add insult to injury and kick a boy while he's down, all four molars decided to make their debut. I longed for my sweet, happy boy to return--two weeks later, I got my wish!
We've since had our follow-up with the MD, and he says everything's looking great and doesn't think he'll need another surgery. Three cheers for getting it done right the first time!


14 comments:
Glad he is feeling better! Crazy! Never fun to have a kiddo sick or in surgery. He is so cute and you look so cute too!
Awww, poor little guy! I am glad the surgery went well and yes, three cheers for getting it done right the first time! He is adorable and you are looking mighty fine if I may say so.
I'm glad everything went well. He sounds just like Jackson. He's always on the go and thinks he's at least three. He likes to beat up on all the nursery kids! You look great, email me your number sometime. I would like to come by and see you since we move in four months.
Aww his poor wittle wee wee! He is a pretty darn cute little patient and your quite a pretty nurse! I had no idea this was even taking place. Glad it all went well.
Glad things went well! I love the title of your post. Lol. And he seriously is the cutest patient I've ever seen. He's so handsome, Jet! Poor guy, getting a URI and 4 molars right after his surgery. I'm glad he's tough and just keeps swimin'!
Poor kid. But yes, he is an adorable patient. Glad things went well the FIRST time.
AW, poor little dude!!! Sounds like he was a trooper. I love the picture of you & him. Cute mom, cute baby!!
Okay the cutest patient that I have ever seen too! And it does sound like you birthed an angel. Glad it all went well. And what a cute picture of you and him.
What a trooper!! He is so cute, glad everything went well!!!
What a cute patient:) Glad to hear everything went well. I remember that helpless nerve racking feeling when your child goes into surgery. What a tough kiddo you have!
Those pictures are completely priceless! I sure love that little man! NICE Christmas picture btw...you look Gorgeous!!!
He is so adorable in that little gown. He's growing up way too fast!I am glad everything went well. You're looking so good, too!
What a trooper! Glad to hear everything went well. And I agree- he is such a cute little patient! Let us know the next time you guys are up this way- we would love to see you guys!
I love what you wrote about the gowns that tie in the back. I've always wondered about that....:)
Congrats on the marathon, too. I can honestly say I DO NOT Like running, but perhpas I can learn to. I would love to accomplish something that amazing.
Post a Comment