Thursday, February 4, 2010
three weeks, two races
About a year ago, a group of women from church decided to meet in California and run a 1/2 marathon together. Some were beginners, some were more experienced. I'm glad they extended the invitation to me. I was needing some motivation to keep at it after the marathon, and this provided just the right spark. There were 10 of us in all. It was a quick weekend trip, but lots of fun memories were made. We made these shirts so that people would know two things: 1) we're from AZ and 2) that we're all moms. Having had the incredibly humbling experience of learning to run again after having a baby, you pretty much want people to know that you're a mom! Some of these amazing women are mothers to 5 kids...some of them have babies that are only 4-6 months old. Suffice it to say that it was incredibly rewarding to run this race with them. I've learned so much from all of them and it's just awesome to have a group of women who are passionate about the same things you are...motherhood and running! I mostly stayed with my friend Trishell (one of the mothers with 5 kids) as it was her first 1/2 marathon. Towards the end, I'm thinking that the tables were turned and she was just staying with me to be nice. Needless to say, she did amazing! I learned that the only thing more rewarding than crossing the finish line yourself for the first time, is crossing with somebody else for their first time!
I had so much fun during that race that I wanted to do another one--and fairly soon since who knows how much longer I'll be able to do these sorts of things before family planning steps in. (No, this is not an announcement.) So, I found a local race (just three weeks after the last one) and extended the invitation to a few friends and family. Only one person took the bait--my lovely SIL Christina! She is training for the Ragnar Relay at the end of this month and used this race as a good prep for what's to come. It was her first 1/2 marathon as well and I got to experience the exhilaration of crossing with a first-timer all over again. Thanks for doing it with me sister--you're just awesome!
This past year has taught me that I truly do LOVE running. Sometimes I do it fast and sometimes I do it slow--it doesn't matter...I just love it! I've been doing it since college and it used to be just a good way to maintain fitness--but now, it's evolved into a spiritual/emotional/mental workout for me and it maintains wellness in those areas too! And when I can help others do it, well, that's even better than having your cake and eating it too.
So, take home message is this: if you think you hate running, keep at it. It's the best thing I know of to help keep the pounds off (or to get them off in the first place) and you just might come to love it. And if you think for some reason you can't ever learn to run or learn to love it, give me a ring and I'd love to help you get there. You can do it...and you'll be so glad you did!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



10 comments:
In regards to your last few sentences...WHATever! he,he,he
You are amazing. Way to go girl! And I'm one of those who thinks I could never run. Too bad I'm so far away that you can't convert me :)
You inspire me Jet. I am wanting to catch the running bug and have been haunting craigslist and the web for a BOB double stroller. I am thisclose to purchasing it and know it help kick start my goals. I tried running/jogging with my stinky stroller now and it was like driving a reckless bus! Since I am always home with the kids they must come along and I am clinging to your promise in the last sentence as well. Gotta get this post baby body back in shape!
I think I'm gonna need you help when and/or if I give it another shot! But you definitely inspire me to give it another go! You're awesome.
SO SO SO FUN!! I LOVE running with you. You are amazing, and have so much to teach me. I look forward to many more runs to come with you :)
you are so inspirational! thanks so much for all of your insight & motivation. trishell did rock it, didn't she! :)
Oh my goodness, you're amazing! Good for you! What an inspiration you are to me! I've just started running again after a two year injury-induced hiatus and definitely needed some encouragement/motivation. Suffice to say, NOW I'm motivated!!! Thanks!
Yay for you and running. Good girl. Your boy is growing fast. Super cute. And you are beautiful as always!
We might just move back to Colorado in 2 years when he's done. We love it there! So, you can come visit then. But...for now...come visit Vegas ANYTIME you want Jett!
Janette your awesome! I love running! Hey real quick I am needing that shot put throwers video. It is at your parents house? Let me know ...B
Post a Comment