- If my computer hadn't crashed three weeks ago and wasn't STILL in the shop.
- If the computer that I'm currently using didn't have frequent internet connection issues.
- If my darling toddler kept me a little less busy.
- If my spouse wasn't a work-a-holic.
- If I actually did anything interesting--you know, other than just running here and then there and then back here again.
- If I wasn't constantly obsessing about my crazy-busy calling and how I need to do a better job...still working on the "how to go about doing a better job" part--just feel like I could do better somehow, but can't quite put my finger on it yet.
- If I didn't have a high school reunion to plan in the next month.
So life is busy but is oh so sweet. I've realized that I need to do a better job of capturing those sweet moments. I know what you're thinking... How many times am I going to have this same realization before I actually do something about it? Well, the truth is, I had fully intended on being a better recorder this year, but just as I was to embark on that journey, well, my computer had other ideas. When the whole computer fiasco happened last month, I was literally sick to my stomach. There was a very real chance that my husband had inadvertently erased our entire hard drive and I quickly realized that it contained the entire life of my sweet toddler--captured in pictures and videos. I immediately began racking my brain to try to remember what had been uploaded to online photo storage websites, which pictures and videos I had posted to my blog, what documents were on which computer--in essence, what did I still have access to? Needless to say, I was a mess. I didn't realize how much of my life was
on my computer and how much of my life depended on
using a computer. I was missing important documents to help with my calling, missing my resume for applying for jobs, and I couldn't access my photos in order to get some blog posts up! Long story short, some valuable lessons were learned. First, my blog became more valuable to me than ever as I contemplated the loss of all those precious photos and videos. I swore right then and there that I would stop neglecting my blog and my obligation to record our lives--interesting or not! Second,
NEVER, EVER, EVER go without some sort of back-up...seriously, don't let this happen to you! I've been researching and I've decided to go with an online back-up service (probably Mozy) as well as keeping an external hard drive on hand. It may sound extra cautious, and it is, but it is so worth it...
TRUST me!
And, about that computer that's been in the shop for three weeks...well, the place finally called me today and said that it's done...that all data has been restored but we will have to re-install programs. Hooray! I get to pick it up tomorrow and make sure that all my precious photos and videos are indeed where they say they are--safe and sound. I'm getting giddy just thinking about it!
7 comments:
I am so glad that you wrote this because lately I've been having the feeling that I need to burn all of our pictures to CDs. I've dropped our labtop twice and I don't think it's doing so well...Thank you for the reminder.
I'm glad that the computer people were able to fix it and that all wasn't lost. That would be SO hard!
Thanks for the reminder...I need to back my stuff up again!!! I can't imagine losing it all..I would need to be put in a mental institution if I did. Hopefully you are able to get most of it back.
Well I, for one, am excited for you to actually share all those precious videos and pics from your computer on your blog. So get on it! :D And yes, please stop by and visit next time you are down. Just please don't judge how unorganized everything still is. I seriously spend NO time at my own house.
Hey this is Jennifer (Kloos), This may seem like a random comment but I heard it through the grapevine you were planning our reunion for spring 2010 and I knew you had a blog. Just wanted to know if you needed any help and was nosy about info for the reunion. My email is jennifermanddavidj@msn.com if its not too random to contact me. Thanks!
Oh, I can relate to feeling sick about loosing all your pictures. Our hard drive crashed Dec. '08 and I had almost 5 years worth of pictures. David Haynie found someone in Tucson that was able to recover the data/pictures, but it was not cheap ($400). Having a back-up is so important!
Looking forward to more of your blogging. I bet you're doing an amazing job with your calling, by the way.
Mozy is a winner! And I hear ya on the "trying to find time to blog". Paul informed me this morning that I have been slacking on the blogging :) And I have. I will do better :)
Hey Jett, are you doing your 10 year reunion? When are you guys having your reunion? I've sort of evolved into the one in charge of our 20th this October. It's a beastly job so I totally feel for you. If you have any good ideas, pls share!
Post a Comment