Tuesday, March 23, 2010

On Becoming That Person I Used to Hate...

Yep, it's true...I was a hater at one point in my life. A few experiences with the young women have triggered this realization. (Nothing like spending time with teenage girls to make you realize how out of date you really are.) I was attempting to create a mass emailing list to make contacting the group much easier on myself. Much better than calling them all one by one. Also, because we don't have a home phone, I was trying to find a way to preserve my precious minutes--not that I'm ever in danger of going over, but I just don't want to even come close to worrying about it. So, in asking the girls what their email addresses were, I learned that I'm totally out of the loop. Here are some of the responses I got, "Well, I have an email address, but I never check it. Can you just text me?" Or, "Umm...I don't have email, but I have facebook. You could facebook me." These responses were frustrating, well, because 1) at the time I didn't have texting on my phone and 2) I don't facebook. So that got me to thinking about whether or not I am really that out of touch with this fast paced world. And from there I started thinking about how annoyed I used to get in high school when I would try to call someone and they didn't even have call-waiting or an answering machine! I mean, the nerve! Didn't they know it was the 20th century and that if they ever expected to stay in touch with people, they should make it a lot easier for people to get a hold of them? Yeah, well...from there it progressed to me being annoyed with people who didn't have email. How else was I supposed to get a mass message out in a matter of minutes with minimal effort? Uggh! Didn't these people know that they were practically ruining my life? Seriously! Well, after reflecting on these past frustrations and the recent conversations with my girls, I began to notice a common theme. Only, this time, the tables had turned and I had become exactly the type of person who used to annoy me to no end. What? Me? A hater has-been who by my old standards should now hate...ME? What's a girl to do? Well, I broke down a got a texting package for my phone and I'll admit, it's been a nice addition for the most part. Still not as convenient as email, but that probably has more to do with my poor proficiency at texting than it does with the technology itself. So, I caved in and caught the texting wave. Well, what about facebook you ask? Nope...I won't go that far. I just can't afford one more thing taking up my time or attention--no matter how convenient it may make staying in touch with others. It would add more distraction than convenience. I'm spread too thin as it is at the moment and so I'm not gonna touch that with a ten-foot pole. As I'm typing this, I can hear excuses that people provided in my high school days for not having call-waiting or an answering machine, and yes, some of them are almost word-for-word what I have said myself in regards to the whole facebook thing. So there you have it...I've become the monster I so fiercely judged in years past. I'm sure you'd all like to hear more about it, but I've gotta get back to finishing this slice of humble pie.

9 comments:

Trisha said...

you are too funny. Glad to know you have texting now. Speaking of phones, I need to call you back today. SORRY! And I give you 6 more months and you will join the rest of us on f.b :)

Heather C. said...

I used to mock the "texters" to no end. But now that I have texting on my phone (and a texting friendly phone) I really love using it. And I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook so I hear you. But I just make a point to only get on once or twice a month so it doesn't suck up too much time. If anyone sends me a personal message on FB it emails me. So that is perfect.

Candace said...

"I won't go that far..."

May I quote you on that?

Okay, so that's snotty, sorry.

Facebook is invaluable for me in staying in touch with all the people I love. I do have to be careful, though. So I totally get you there.

But we all have our own priorities and I have recently discovered that most aren't really "good" or "bad;" just different. So I respect your anti-Facebook-ness. Really.

anneke said...

I broke down about a year or so ago with texting and just recently got facebook, for the mere sake that it is the only way that I get any kind of decent communication with my two sisters 14 and 16. They have frequently reminded me how out of date that I am.

RaCHELLE HuRD said...

you are so funny! well, welcome back to the modern world.. texting is fun but can get annoying too! but it is really convenient. and i agree, facebook is totally a love/hate resource! :)

Kimberly said...

Let's face it...you're just not as hip as you were in high school! Ha ha, j/k. Trying to keep up w/ the times can be difficult...like for instance, I'm just now getting used to microsoft word 2007. LAME-O. ;) But I think texting and FB are fun and useful...

Becca LeSueur said...

This post cracked me up! I don't even know how to text, and I'm totally fine with that. But if I were in YW, I'm sure it would be a different story. You're awesome to keep up with the girls.

Jamie Sue said...

And I thought I was gonna get to the end of this post and be able to go over to FB and "friend" you. Bummer! :( But stay strong, facebook is evil! hehe! :D

jenny said...

you have to have an e-mail address to have a facebook account. whoever said that is totally puuling your leg. :)