Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Priorities

In May, I attended the Gila Valley Temple Open House (for the second time). The difference was that this time, I had my 18-month toddler in tow. Probably not the best idea but I was asked by my mother to go with her and a non-member co-worker of ours. So...off we went. All in all, it was a great trip and I think our friend had a memorable experience.

Anyway, what I really wanted to share (and mostly, not forget) was some of McRae's silly antics during our tour. Thankfully, he allowed me to carry him during the tour...not so sure he would allow that now. The tour began at the baptistery. We had a group of about 30 people and the tour guide benefited from the acoustics of the room. Meaning, he didn't have to speak very loudly for all to hear because of the echo that was present. Or, at least he didn't have to speak too loud until McRae chimed in with his enthusiasm. You see, about half way through our guide's explanation, McRae leaned over the railing and noticed the oxen that hold up the font. He excitedly exclaimed, "Cow! Moo! Mom...cow!! Mooooo," over and over again. I was only mildly embarassed, because it was cute after all. I'm sure all in our group weren't quite as impressed. But, as our tour continued, McRae quickly worked his way back into the hearts of our group as he would exclaim, "Jesus!" very loudly (but in a very endearing, tender and loving way, of course) at each picture of the Savior that we would pass. And, seeing how it is a temple and all, there were quite a few of them. There were a few little giggles and endearing "awwwws" from fellow group members. And me...well, I couldn't help but think that everybody in our group now knows what our household priorities are--cows and Jesus (but not in that order)!

*For record keeping purposes--Jesus was one of McRae's first words. As we would walk from one room of our house to another, he would point at our pictures and statues of the Savior and exclaim His name with pure excitement. He still says His name that way...and it is so filled with love when he says it that sometimes it gives me goosebumps. Those little ones are in tune I tell ya!
As you may have guessed, "cow" was another one of his first words and he actually had quite an obsession with them and horses (still does, actually). There was a period of time where he couldn't be seen without a cow in one hand and a horse in the other--some genetics just run strong, I guess!

Exhibit A: Horse in one hand, cow in the other

2 comments:

Heather said...

So sweet! I can't wait until Max & Kate say "Jesus", right now it is just "mama".

The Gooding Family said...

McRae is simply adorable. What a good memory to record!