Sunday, December 19, 2010

Gobble, Gobble. Hobble, Hobble.

Three years ago, my family started hosting our own Family Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day.  Who wants to pay the entry fee and fight the crowds on a busy holiday morning?  Although, we are becoming quite the crowd ourselves--but a very enjoyable one, I must say.  Kids bike, run or roller-blade.  Adults run, walk and push babies in strollers.  It's a good time and a great way to make some extra room for an afternoon feast.

This year, we had a special guest from the Thanksgiving Turkey himself.  Even with the warmer weather and possibility of overheating, this Turkey beat the majority of us and made for a very fun surprise!  I wish I had snapped a picture of the whole gang, but we only got one of our family...with our phone no less, so not the greatest quality.

 We ran 3 miles and walked the last mile.  (My hips, at 22 weeks here, are starting to feel the stress of carrying some extra weight...so any more than three miles and I'm doin' a little hobble for the rest of the day.  For documentation purposes, I had just run another 5k the Saturday prior and did it in 26:24--or an 8:38 min/mile pace.  Not too shabby for being 21 1/2 weeks along.)  McRae found our little outing the perfect opportunity to sneak in a snooze before a great feast.

The rest of the day was spent in food preparation and consumption.  Dan and Louise hosted this year.  Amy's family, Phil's family, and Mom and Dad joined us for the eating.  (Along with a sweet family from Dan and Louise's ward.)  John's family came after dinner was officially over--but the eating and snacking were still going on, let's be honest--and joined in with some great visiting.

It was a lovely day surrounded by some of our most treasured blessings--family, health and happiness.  We are very grateful.  

2 comments:

The Gooding Family said...

You. Seriously. Rock!!!

How neat that your family is so close. Seems as if you're all best friends. Family is the best!

Heather said...

Good job! Your time is amazing and I am in awe of you running that well at 22 weeks, so I can only imagine your usual pace.