Tuesday, December 21, 2010

S-I-C-K

A few days after all of our Thanksgiving fun, our little buddy came down with a stomach bug.  While the worst of it (incessant diarrhea and some vomiting) only lasted for 12 hours, its effects lingered for nearly two weeks.  The poor guy would wake up with stomach cramps and there was little we could do to console him.  WOW!!  Healthy kids are not to be taken for granted.  Having just reflected on our blessings during Thanksgiving, I was especially aware of how fortunate we are to enjoy the good health we have as a family.  This was probably the first time McRae has been really sick for more than a day.  We are fortunate to live in an era (and a country) where access to good care and treatment is an option.   
 
 Thankfully McRae had a great disposition through the whole ordeal.  In fact, when he saw me snapping pictures of him on the floor, he even tried to sit up and smile for me.  Sweet boy!!  Of course I missed the smile because I wasn't expecting him to sit up; I caught him in motion.  Also...what 2 year old do you know that cleans up his own puke?  That's right.  Mine does.  We were sitting on the coach and he started making the noises that mean puking is eminent, so I quickly grabbed his blanket and held it up to his mouth.  Fortunately that caught most of the mess.  After I got McRae cleaned up--and a new blanket--I started to clean the couch.  McRae came right behind me and started to clean up with his new, clean blanket.  That pretty much made my heart melt and I quickly explained that mama would take care of it.  What a sweet, helper boy!
 We lovingly refer to this position as the "stink bug" in my family.  Try it next time you have some stomach cramps.  It's a dandy.  I was impressed that McRae instinctively knew this would help.

Seconds later.  His poor, exhausted body was overcome with sleep...right there on the tile floor.  Poor kid.  Thank heavens he's healthy now!  Now...just to remember that when his seemingly never-ending energy is wearing me out!

3 comments:

Candace said...

Aww, it is so hard to see little ones so sick. :( It really does make you appreciate when they are healthy!!

Heather said...

So sad when they get sick! I don't speak from experience since we haven't been sick yet but I can only imagine and am sure our time will come. Healthy children are such a blessing.

Kimberly said...

Having the flu is no fun. Having a kid with the flu is just horrible! You feel sooo bad for them and wish you could magically make it go away! He looks super cute though, even when he's feeling yucky. :)