Attempt #1 at self-timer family portrait...awkward
Attempt #2...still awkward, but at least we're all looking in the right direction.
Other holiday festivities included a good old fashioned paper chain. Each night before bed, McRae would get to pull a link off the chain. He thoroughly enjoyed this activity. So much so that it nearly made him excited to go to bed! (Which has left me wondering if I should have an ongoing paper chain for random things! hehehe) We also talked a lot about doing service and being kind. He loved picking out gifts for loved ones and some for some less fortunate kids he didn't really even know.
For neighbor/friend gifts this year, we made homemade caramel sauce. Like 40 jars worth! And then, because it was so good, I had to make some more for my family too. Seriously...DE.LECT.A.BLE! It was fun delivering it to so many people we know and love. I seriously had to force myself to stop and cut my list down. Wasn't easy. I felt so blessed as I pondered on all the people in my life that mean so much to me. And then...I loved sharing with people I hardly even know--my neighbors. I loved spreading the Christmas cheer. My most favorite recipient was the UPS man. He was in our neighborhood every day in the month of December. One day, I chased him down at our neighbor's house and handed him some caramel, told him I knew he was working hard and I appreciated it. He literally wrapped his arms around me, squeezed me tight and couldn't thank me enough. So humbling. So simple.
Another one of my favorite memories of the season was attending our ward Christmas party. Incredible is an understatement. We all came dressed in biblical attire, sat on the floor and ate traditional fare. The program was about 8 minutes long...all set to Christmas music. Very simple and yet so beautiful and perfect. It kept McRae entirely captivated. That's saying something when we're talking about three-year-old boys, here. When the curtains closed on Mary and Joseph during Christ's birth, we sat and listened to "Silent Night" by Josh Groban. When the curtains opened again, McRae gasped and excitedly said, "Baby Jesus!" He then looked at me and said, "I want to go see Him." Ah...the sweet innocence of children. I never want to forget the way I felt when I saw the sheer excitement and wonder in his face.
Along those same lines, McRae could NOT get enough of his Little People Nativity set. In fact, once Christmas decor was put away, he demanded that we bring his nativity back out. How can you refuse such demands? He is still playing with it and every once and a while, I'll hear him belting out "Away in a Manger" or "Jingle Bells." In fact, just a week or so ago, we were getting out of the car at Costco and McRae yells, "Merry Christmas everyone!" at the top of his lungs. Pretty uncharacteristic of him, and needless to say, his enthusiasm garnered quite a few chuckles (and admittedly, some embarrassment on my part).
Along with all of the spiritual aspects of the season, we introduced him to Santa and reindeer and elves. This didn't have quite as much of a hold on his attention, though. I'm thinking next year, with the help of Elf on a Shelf, the whole "Santa's watching" business might have more sway. Fingers crossed anyway! :)
It was a beautiful Christmas season filled with love, family and most importantly, the Spirit of Christ!
Children just make Christmas magical! I LOVE these handsome boys!
McRae's loot
John's spoils
Since Christmas was on Sunday, and we had 9 AM church, we were pretty rushed Christmas morning. We kept waiting for McRae to wake up. Brian even turned on all the lights and opened his door. By 8 AM, Brian couldn't stand it anymore--he woke McRae up. We quickly made it through about half of our presents and then headed to church. Thankfully, there were no protests about the intermission. In fact, it was really nice to just stay home with our own little family this year. McRae was able to really just be himself and not be too shy to show his emotions or enthusiasm. He was so excited for each person as they opened a new gift. "What is it?" he would say with the sweetest, most excited inflection in his voice. Hugs and kisses and "thank yous" were ever present. Such a sweet morning! When we got home from church, we slipped out of our Sunday best and into our comfy attire and went right back to gift opening. It was a wonderful day!
When gift opening and exploring of said gifts ceased, we loaded the car and headed north to enjoy Christmas dinner with all of my family. We stayed with my sister's family for a few extra days, mingled with Brian's family some, headed home and stayed here for two days, and then down to SD for a New Year's bash at my parents' house. Lots of late nights, good food, exercise, good chats and hearty laughter...always a blast!
And here's one more photo that depicts the nativity enthusiasm that is still present around these parts. He walked in to me like this and said, "Hey, mom! I'm Joseph, and the donkey is Joseph, and this is baby Jesus!" Needless to say, I've had a hard time locating my dish towels as of late! :)
And here's one more photo that depicts the nativity enthusiasm that is still present around these parts. He walked in to me like this and said, "Hey, mom! I'm Joseph, and the donkey is Joseph, and this is baby Jesus!" Needless to say, I've had a hard time locating my dish towels as of late! :)

2 comments:
So sweet! I love that McRae absolutely adores the Nativity and all things CHRISTmas. Well done Mama. I am excited for my kids next year and for a bit more understanding to be present so we can start incorporating more and more traditions! I think it is so fun and kids just add the magic. Your holiday season sounds perfect, full of family, friends, fun and the Spirit of the season.
What sweet Christmas memories. You're such a good Mama, Janette!
Post a Comment