So, I've been wanting to post some more pics of the Philippines and also the video of the Sepak Tekraw, but I obviously haven't gotten around to it just yet. Part of the issue is that the video of the Sepak was actually taken with my parents' camera and so, therefore, the footage is on their computer. I've had a difficult time trying to get the video transferred over to our computer. While we were playing in the ocean, Brian slipped on some coral and dropped our camera in the water. It was in a case...not waterproof....but I'm sure it helped some what. Anyway, after some quick maneuvering, drying it off, and removing the battery, it wasn't working. We were so bummed! We just got it last September and spent a pretty penny. But, the Filipinos came to the rescue! I tell you, they can fix ANYTHING and they make it work. So, we were out a camera for a few days while it sat at a repair shop...hence, using my parents'. Anyway, our camera is working just fine now, so I'll post some other memorable pictures that we took and keep working on the Sepak Tekraw in the mean time.

The Filipinos must know something we don't about back hygiene. If any physical therapist saw the way these folks are bending, I'm sure a tantrum would be thrown. But, they have remarkably strong backs! I'm sure standing for hours planting rice by hand will do that for someone. In the top picture, you see them harvesting the bunches of rice. They then move them to another field and plant each one, one by one, by hand in a more organized pattern. It was incredible to watch.

This is Elder Arenas and Elder Wong. Elder Wong won my heart over. Look at his million peso smile! He wore shoes about three sizes too big for him, but he was a worker no doubt!
For those of you who don't know, because I didn't, cashews actually grow on fruit. Here is a picture of a cashew fruit and you can see the cashew itself on the bottom. Kind of cool eh? And yes, the Filipinos eat the fruit too! Nothing goes to waste!







4 comments:
Awesome pictures and captions. I never knew how cashews grew and that might explain how expensive they are.
Very inspiring stories with the people, I am glad those who need help with cleft lips/palate are getting what they deserve. We take so much for granted here and this was just a brief and very small glimpse at the amazing sacrifices made. Thanks for sharing.
I love Cashews but that fruit is creepy. I also love rice so I think I would eat just fine there.
Okay I totally loved all of the Philippine Pictures. I feel a LOT more cultured now! I thought that fruit was a bug or something until I read the caption! Yikes!
Hoe fulfilling it must have been for your parents to help out those two boys; it will SURELY improve their quality of life in the years to come! And how neat that you were able to witness part of it.
Who knew Cashews were a fruit?! NOT ME! Yeah, that totally explains why they are so stinkin' expensive!
Post a Comment