Thursday, September 3, 2009

That's How I Roll


(Six days post-sprain)

Some of you have asked how the running is going. Well...it isn't--not for the last week anyway. As the picture above depicts, I sprained my ankle last Wednesday on my 9 mile run...I was only 1.5 miles into it--thank goodness...not too far from home. As much as I have been counting down the long runs and the days left to the marathon because I am a little sick of running, would you believe that after 8 days off, I'm missing it? Sick, huh? Seriously, what I've learned is to be grateful for a healthy and capable body that does what I need it to do 99% of the time. Now I just need it to heal (and to be patient while that healing takes place) in time for my marathon in exactly one month! My worst fear when I embarked on this journey was that I would train for the whole thing and right at the last minute have an injury that would keep me out of the race. Well, self-fulfilling prophecy or not, I'll be at the race if it's the last thing I do...I just might be walking more than I ever intended to. Thank goodness my dad has loaned me the cure-all stationary bike (story for another day), so I can maintain some semblance of cardiovascular fitness while my ankle heals. Can't wait to hit the pavement again! Only this time, I hope that it's limited to my shoes and not my knees, hands and face like it was on the last run. Sure wish I could see that in instant replay!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Ooooooh, that's a nasty one. Dang it! I am glad it is just a sprain and hope you'll be pounding the pavement in no time.

Heather C. said...

Ouch, that looks painful. Hope you are back to 100% (or close enough) soon. You be careful!!

Jamie Sue said...

sheesh, jet, that's a purty one! hope it heals quickly!

AudyCamp said...

Ouchers!

lacy lee said...

You know what this is like? It's like that professional runner woman in Spirit of the Marathon who hurt her foot and had to nurse it and then ended up winning the Chicago Marathon! You'll be AWESOME!!

Kimberly said...

That looks painful. I hope it heals soon and that you have ample time to train. And I can't help but wonder...what'd you do? Trip over a rock? Slip on a banana peel? Stumble over an old shoe? Just messing!
You crack me up: Can't wait to hit the pavement again! Only this time, I hope that it's limited to my shoes and not my knees, hands and face like it was on the last run. Sure wish I could see that in instant replay!
I wish I could see it too...esp. if you slipped on a banana peel. J/K! You know I love ya!

manda carol said...

Jet your sense of humor always gets me. I hope it heals quickly and you're able to start your torture- I mean training again!

Brian and Janette said...

Yeah, Lacy! That is exactly what I was thinking too...sort of...

And Kimber...I wish I could say that I was doing something cool like running away from a wild herd of javelina but I honestly don't know how it happened. I was just running in the wee hours of the morning and next thing I know, I was skidding on the pavement. I'm not sure if I hit a rock or what. Luckily I was with two other women and they were able to run back to the car and come pick me up. One of them said she thought she may have seen a rock. Oh well! Good times!

I'm feelin' better now and I've been out on two runs so far. Got a 10 miler in the morning so I'm crossing my fingers all goes well because I'm scheduled for a 20 miler this Saturday. YIKES!