Thursday, January 13, 2011

New Skills

 It's official!  We've got a rope-swinging cowboy on our hands.  We took him to the arena this past week so he could watch dad and Papa do some roping.  He thought he'd show us what he could do too.  He holds the coils and reins in his left hand just right as he gallops around the arena on his trusty steed.  Coordinated or just innate?  Who knows?  All we know is that we certainly didn't spend any time teaching him how to swing or rope.  I think he just became interested after watching some of the NFR.  Although Brian didn't intend for McRae to pick it up so soon, let's just say he's not disappointed.  Now, if we can just get him to swing the rope in the right direction.  At any rate, he wasn't  about to be left out. 

Here he is just getting warmed up for the real thing...

The once rounded, bottom edge of that stick horse is slowly being whittled into a sharpened point.  Let's just say it gets a lot of use...and a lot of smiles at the gym and grocery store.  We love our cowboy! 

And below shows a favorite backyard pastime for father and son as of late...team roping!

And I just had to throw this pic in here because I think it's simply adorable.  Can you blame me?  Add another hat to his collection!

And stay tuned for some pics and video of our latest skill (if we can get the event captured, that is)....tie-down steer roping!

5 comments:

AZ Wrights said...

Oh my gosh!!! That is so cute/hilarious. Definatley one you have to show in his future wedding video. Makes me smile just to think about it.

Heather C. said...

I think it awesome and amazing how devoted and dedicated and passionate he is about his cowboy stuff! Too cute! And I was impressed with Brian's roping skills too.

Becca LeSueur said...

He's a natural! So darling! Save that video for future use. . . We love you guys.

Dan and Louise said...

I'll bet Brian is just in HOG HEAVEN knowing how McRae loves all things cowboy! Talk about inseparable! Those two will definitely have some fun. You can see he's got the skills for roping, too. What a great boy!

Kimberly said...

He is the cutest little cowboy ever! Loved the video...I agree, he looked like a natural!