Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Little Pigs Have Big Ears

One of my worst fears as a parent is that my kids will follow my not-so-shining example in some areas and develop bad habits of their own.  This fear has motivated me to make some changes for the better and to constantly be on guard.  One area that I've been particularly careful about is what I say and how I say it.  Let's just say I've heard my fair share of toddlers screaming profanities at me while I worked to take care of their sick little bodies.  Not my favorite aspect of nursing--sick kids are sad, but swearing, sick kids...even worse!  The only thing refreshing thing about hearing a small child swear is that they still have enough energy and fight left to do so--meaning they're not too terribly sick.

At any rate, I would say that I've done a fairly decent job at speaking kindly and gently to my kids thus far--and you can imagine my satisfaction every time I hear  my child repeat a positive word or phrase with my same inflection--signaling that he did, in fact, learn it from me.  Some of the things that I've heard McRae say as of late that have brought a smile to my face (and heart):
  • To a younger child who hit/pushed him: "Oh _____.  We don't hit, okay.  Do you need time out?  Go udder (other) room?"  (Said in the most tender, patient voice.)
  • "I know fweet-heart (sweetheart), I know."  (Consoling his brother during diaper changes--as he cradles John's head in his hands.)
  • "Dain-choo.  Dat's a nice boy."  (Thanking anyone who helps him--boy or girl.)
  • "You're my best buddy, right?"  (Said while patting Brian's shoulder during bedtime routine together.)
  • "My baby!  He's soooo cute!"  (First words when meeting little brother.)
  • "Oh!  Dat's AWWWEEESOME!"
  • "Dat's a good idea!"
  • "Okay!  Come on!"  (These last three are just said in a really enthusiastic voice.  His intonation is what I really want to remember.)
  • "That's rea-wee, rea-wee mean!"  (said in the saddest, yet kindest, voice ever!)
  • Goodnight _____.  Wuv you.  Have good sweep (sleep--l's  pronounced like y's and w's), okay.
I wish I could end the post here and say that we only hear positive things from his mouth.  But unfortunately, it's not the truth.   He is 2 after all, and I have a highly observant toddler--like more observant than your average toddler, toddler.  He also seems to have inherited his mother's uncanny ability to memorize movie lines after watching a movie only once.  A good memory + being highly observant + being at an age where you're wanting some independence, can all add up to some not-so-nice phrases being repeated.
  • "It's not fair!  I'm not a child!"  (This one actually had me busting up pretty good the first time he said it.  I don't think he really knows what it means, but he knows it means some sort of protest.  Thank you, "Man From Snowy River".)  
  • "He's not a lad, brother--he's a man!"  (Also from "Man From Snowy River".  Who said his angry phrases had to make any sense or be in context?)
  • Did you know that "Man From Snowy River" actually has some swearing in it?  Ya, well...I had forgotten and my sweet boy reminded me a few days later when he casually threw that out while playing in the bath tub.  Ouch!  That one definitely hurt my heart...not gonna lie.  Doesn't do any good to guard what I say if I don't guard the media allowed into our home just as carefully.  (Thank heavens for Clear Play...he just happened to have watched it on our computer one day and got the unedited version.  Anyway...don't have Clear Play?  Don't know what it is?  Find out and get it!!  Seriously...you won't regret it!)  
  • "I promise!"  (Actually don't know where he got this one from.  Serves the same purpose as the phrases above--doesn't really make sense but at least we know he's angry.)
  • "Get off of my back!"  (One of my LEAST favorite.  He actually picked this one up from the movie "Spirit".  It's a song portrayed from the horse's angle--he doesn't want those pesky cowboys to try to break him.  A movie with hardly any talking and my son picks up this phrase from the song.  Just awesome.)
I've learned that not even Disney movies are safe for my observant little parrot.  Which means I may be watching a lot of movies that I wouldn't otherwise care to just to screen them in advance.  In the meantime, we are trying to work on accentuating the positive talk we hear around our house.  As for those not-so-nice phrases, well...they quickly receive an invitation to "try again", and if that doesn't help, then a trip to time-out is in order.  Can't say I'm seeing a ton of progress yet, but we are seeing some and it's all about consistency, right?  And...honestly, his positives far out-number his negatives.  And for that we are thankful!  
 

2 comments:

Heather said...

What a sweet boy!

And on the other hand, Oh dear. It is so so important to be on guard and you truly see yourself through your kids, good bad and ugly. We aren't quite there but I know I will have to make adjustments as well.

With Disney movies they aren't really for the kids it seems, so much adult content. I just watched Tangled recently and Princess and the Frog and they both had very adult themes from a controlling and manipulative step-mother to crazy evil voo-doo. I will have to look into Clear Play. Thanks for the tip.

Heather C. said...

So cute! And that is uncanny that he can memorize movie lines so fast. He had only seen Man From Snowy River once???? Wow. It takes me a lot of time and effort to memorize any movie lines. That must be genetic.