Thursday, December 8, 2011

McRae's 3rd Birthday

Holding up three small fingers with his birthday loot

 It's true.  Our "baby" boy turned 3 (a couple of months ago, I might add).  I can hardly believe it and yet it seems like he's been my best friend my entire life.  I know that's so cliche, but there's just no better way to say it.  He forever changed me.  He made me a mother.  Nobody has ever helped make my faults so blatantly obvious and then given me the desire to improve quite like he has.  And he hasn't relented that responsibility either.  In the least bit.  Although, at three years old, it's not quite as cute as it was as a baby.  Ahhhh, three.  Such a *magical* age (insert sarcasm).  In other words...three-year-olds are really just two-year-olds with a vengeance.  You see, at two they are testing you but they don't really know better just yet.  At three, they're testing you AND they definitely know better!  There were a couple of weeks where I was seriously doubting that we were both going to survive this age.  I knew at least one of us would, I just wasn't sure which one of us it would be.  :)  Really, though...for as much as this boy tests and stretches me, he absolutely melts me.  All it takes is one glance at his little body fast asleep and I instantly gain the courage, stamina and patience that it takes to mother a 3-year-old boy.  And...I'm so grateful for the opportunity to do it.  Especially grateful that I get to do it with him.  My heart can hardly contain the love I have for this boy.

 His "sharp-tooth" cake 

Sometimes I feel sorry for my kids.  Sorry for the fact that they got a mother who doesn't make pretty table runners and birthday banners or throw elaborate parties for them.  I guess I just don't have the energy.  Or maybe I'm a simpleton...or the fact that, hello!, they're only 3 and really aren't that hard to impress!  I guess I just enjoy saving myself the time and stress.  But, I do try to make them feel special and loved...on their birthday and everyday.  So, when McRae said he wanted a dinosaur cake, I was glad to oblige.  I'm sure this wouldn't win any awards, but the smile on my sweet boy's face was the only award I needed.  We're still singing our own little rendition of Bill Cosby's "Dad is great!  He gives us the chocolate cake!" song around here.  Although, our song goes like this..."Mom is great!  She makes us a dinosaur cake!"  (Ok...by "we", I mostly mean "I"...but McRae was singing it for a while, too.  Promise!  He's just not still singing it all that often.) 

We spent the day at home with the whole family and tried to do things that McRae really enjoys doing.  We had his favorite for lunch (cheese crisps) and really just let him call the shots.  Later in the day, we headed up to Nana and Papa's house so he could stay the weekend with them.  Brian made us wait to open presents until we got to Nana's.  I think that was harder for me than it was for McRae! 

 Singing to our birthday boy.  He didn't quite get the "blowing out the candles" part.  I think he got one and I helped him with the other two.

 Now we've got this party started!

McRae admiring his new "sharp-tooth" dinosaur.

"Maybe more animals."  That was his answer when we would ask him, "What do you think is in this box?"  And he was right most of the time!

For this birthday, McRae mostly scored on clothes (because he's growing like crazy these days), new shoes,  a couple of books, a movie, and he added more animals to his Schleich collection.  The kid is still crazy about animals.

Notable things about McRae's 3rd year of life:

  • He added a brother who he adores!  Although, now that his brother is mobile, McRae is having to learn more about sharing.  :)
  • I don't think he's gained more than a pound this year but he's probably grown 3 inches!
  • Officially potty-trained.
  • Puzzle master.
  • Loves rhyming.
  • Loves learning and singing new songs.  Good little singer, too.
  • Can count and say ABC's.  Still working on letter and number recognition.
  • Learned to ride his bike (with training wheels).
  • Still loves books.
  • Memory like a steel trap.  
  • Still loves horses and cows but has branched out to all animals.  Loves the zoo.
  • Still a cowboy...loves his hat and boots.
  • Can quote "Lion King" from start to finish.
I'm sure there are a million other things that I am missing, but these are just some of the things I can think of now that I don't want to forget.

McRae...you are the sweetest, orneriest, and silliest boy all rolled into one.  We sure love you and are so glad you're our son!  
  

3 comments:

Candace said...

I adore this post! It is very evident how much you love this little dude. :) I can really relate with this: "Nobody has ever helped make my faults so blatantly obvious and then given me the desire to improve quite like he has."---YEP! That's has been my #1's job, too! And 6 has been raking me over the mothering coals lately, whew! Because she, like McRae, tests me and knows EXACTLY what she's doing. Oh and your cake wins the blue ribbon in my book! :)

Heather said...

Ah, I love mommy posts. Your boys are so very lucky to have such an attentive, awesome, loving mom. I thnk his cake looks beautiful!

I also can relate to how our kids show us the worst parts of ourselves and motivate us to do better, each and every day I fail but they forgive me every time. Thank goodness for that!

Heather K said...

Cutest little birthday post ever. He will love reading this someday. You are a great journal blogger I am so behind! I love those shcleiss toys or whatever I looked at the site and they are great! Can you order them online or only in stores? YOUR CAKE WAS AWESOME!!!