Thursday, December 8, 2011
Brotherly Love
McRae loves to be my big helper and I won't pretend for a second that I don't appreciate it most of the time. Although, sometimes he thinks he's capable of more than he really is. For example, he has been carrying John around the house as of late. From one room to the other. Makes my heart skip a beat every time I see it. Especially since John is 50% of McRae's weight. We've had lots of talks about that and are still working on getting it to sink in. It mostly happens now when McRae wants John in the other room because John is getting in to his toys or something. Which happens quite often now that John's been officially crawling for the past two weeks or so. :)
Before having kids, I used to think that I had a pretty good understanding of Heavenly Father. After having McRae, I realized that I really didn't know that much about Him after all...but becoming a parent sure helped to increase my understanding. Then, after having John, I realized yet again that there is still so much more to know and understand about Him. I've learned how much love a parent truly has for a child and gained a better appreciation of God's sacrifice in behalf of the world. (John 3:16) I've learned how it is possible to love all of your children equally...even if they are completely different from one another. But perhaps the sweetest lesson that I've come to learn is how much joy a parent receives from seeing their children treat each other with love and respect. And conversely, I'm sure that discord among siblings fills a parent's heart with sadness. I remember my mom telling me at one point that the hardest part of being a parent was watching her children argue. I can't help but think that it's the same way for our Heavenly Father--only magnified a million times. This thought has opened my eyes and caused me to consider how I treat my fellow man--my brothers and sisters. Am I adding to Heavenly Father's joy or am I diminishing it? I'm grateful for this lesson and am determined to bring more joy to my Father's heart. I love this time of year when opportunities to bring joy to others--and to my Heavenly Father--abound.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Love your testimony Jett! You always have had such and amazing sweet understanding of the gospel. Parenthood is so cool.
Hannah and David have taken to "talking yucky" (as I call it :) about Carter (who, thankfully, doesn't yet seem phased by it)...and I try to tell them how much it hurts ME to see them treating him badly. He is my son and I love him so when they aren't nice to him, it hurts me, too.
Very insightful....I couldn't agree more.
Sweet post loved it! I agree that motherhood is such a privilage to be able to raise these sweet spirits and learn about unconditional love!
Post a Comment