Sunday, October 28, 2007

"I'll Try Anything Once"

So within the last month, I reluctantly decided that I would no longer be playing football. After the season ended, I thought there still may be a chance that I would go back and play after having a baby. However, shortly before General Conference I had this feeling that my life needed to take a different direction and football really couldn't be a part of it. Then the talk on "good, better and best" was given in conference, and my feelings were confirmed. However, I was graciously given another opportunity to play one last game and to really leave it all on the field. Our season was over but a CNN-owned station wanted to film our team for a reality show that will be coming out in February '08. The name of the show is called "I'll try anything once." It is similar to the show "Dirty Jobs", where the host comes out and tries different things with you. All week he practiced with us and officially became a Monsoon team member. The show culminated in an exhibition game (which was thrown together at the last minute). Originally the game was set to be played on Sunday and I sadly informed the owner of the team that I would not be participating. She simply stated, "We thought that might be a problem for you." She then went on to explain that changing it to a Saturday would work better for her as well. A week later she called me to say that she had contacted the show producers and the New Mexico Menace (the team we played) and the game was moved to Saturday. I was so excited to have one last chance to play...to get it all out of my system. I basically had two goals for this game....1) score a touchdown and 2) to really hit somebody...and I mean hard...to know what it really feels like. I'm happy to report that I accomplished both goals and that they both felt GREAT!! It was a bitter-sweet ending....glad I did it and glad it's over!



The host, Touree, and myself after the game.




These pictures don't really do justice to the beating a body takes when playing football but I thought I would snap a few pics for memories. You can't really see the bruises all that well, and I've had much worse, but take a look at my chin! That bruise cracks me up!


Okay, so this picture shows a few more bruises, but what it really shows is all of my hard work. I've just completed my ninth week of the 12 week Body For Life challenge. I've been working really hard and I can definitely tell a difference in the definition of my muscles and my overall health. I'll have to post my pics again when my challenge is over.

2 comments:

Dan and Louise said...

Let us know when the show airs so we can watch you accomplish those two goals. You look so awesome, Jet!

Brian and Janette said...

Louise,

You are too sweet! You look awesome! I hope I am half as cute as you are when I'm pregnant!