Monday, January 28, 2008

Things I Treasure About President Hinckley


When I heard the news last night of his passing, I was initially saddened. I was thinking to myself that President Hinckley has been "my" prophet. Even though there had been 2 prophets prior to him in my lifetime that I can remember, I was too young, or too foolish, to pay attention. The sadness didn't last long however, as I considered the glorious reunion he must be having! Just think about that for a moment...Today my mind has been caught up in memories and thoughts of President Hinckley. I've been filled with overwhelming gratitude...to live at such a time and to learn from such a man. As I've pondered the things that I've learned and how my testimony has grown during his tenure, I've decided that these are "treasures" that need to be recorded for posterity's sake.
  • President Hinckley became the prophet, I think, in 1995. I was only 12 years old. I remember that in December of 1996, he came to Tucson to dedicate a Mormon Battalion Monument. After the dedication, he held a special meeting with the youth of 7 stakes throughout the region. It was the first time that he gave his talk on the B's. At that time, there were only 5...be prayerful, be clean, be true, be humble and be smart. I was sitting in an aisle seat, and as he left the building, I shook his hand. I remember very clearly the Spirit that I felt in that meeting and that my testimony was just beginning. Since that time, President Hinckley has added several more B's...reverent, grateful, still, etc.
  • I remember when he spoke in conference and told us to try a little harder to be a little better...stand taller. Here is the quote: "The time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is a time to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all our relationships. In other words, to become more Christlike." Wow! What an amazing admonition. If anybody lived these words to the fullest, it was him. I remember thinking when he said this, "Even he is trying to improve, so I guess I should too." This quote continues to mean a lot to my family as it is my parents' mission theme and they have committed it to memory. I can just imagine Pres. Hinckley looking down at us today with this same charge...and if there ever was a time to live it, THE TIME IS NOW!
  • When I was a freshman in college, he announced in the general RS meeting that women should wear 1 pair of earrings. At the time, I was not happy with this announcement. I had just spent a great deal of money (in college terms) on some new earrings, specifically for my second piercing. It took me about two weeks after that announcement to finally decide that I would heed the prophet's counsel. (I know, I'm stubborn.) It seems like such a simple thing now, but back then it was a BIG decision. Little did I know then, that decision would mark the beginning of a wonderful journey. At the time, I struggled with self-directed negativity and lacked a healthy sense of self-worth. That simple decision to respect my body and treat myself with dignity was the birth of my self-respect. I started looking at myself in a whole new light. I truly believe that decision is what started the journey that led me to Brian. If I had never gained that self-respect, I never would've thought that a guy of his caliber could have possibly had any interest in a girl like me. How thankful I am for a prophet's guidance...even in the seemingly smallest of things!
  • His overwhelming sense of OPTIMISM! I remember him giving us the charge to avoid SARCASM in a CES fireside. Sarcasm can be hurtful and negative. He has shown that humor can exist without the need for vulgarity or taking digs at someone else. He has been full of cute little quips and nearly has a joke or two every conference. He stated that he is not a "prophet of doom" but that he was optimistic. Even after 9/11, the tsunami and Katrina, he endorsed optimism. His positive attitude and humor have been an example for me to look towards.
  • I will always remember him praying for the youth of the church in a CES fireside. Shortly after that, he prayed for the entire church in conference. What a blessing to have a prophet pray in our behalf. As my lovely Aunt Lori has pointed out, Pres. Hinckley, though he did not use vain repetitions in his prayers, does say this one line every prayer, "Help us live without regret." What greater hope could anyone have for their life? He was an example of one who lived life to the fullest and seized the moment.
  • His charge to read the Book of Mormon in its entirety before the end of 2005 was also a huge blessing to my life. Brian and I had been married for 1 1/2 years at the time and the honeymoon phase had started to wear off. Our commitment to finish the Book of Mormon before the end of the year, gave us the strength and energy to renew our commitment to each other. Throughout my life, I've found that I've had a greater resolve to keep the commandments and avoid temptation when I've participated in diligent study of the Book of Mormon.

There are so many wonderful things that have been accomplished during the Hinckley Era. From the Proclamation, to the Living Christ, the increase in temples and memberships, and the new church curriculum--the list goes on and on. But what I am most thankful for, are the changes that have been made in me. President Hinckley said this about our generation:

  • "We are particularly proud of our youth. I think I have never had a stronger generation of young men and women than we have today. ... They are going forward with constructive lives, nurturing themselves both intellectually and spiritually. We have no fears or doubts concerning the future of this work."

This truly has been an amazing generation and I, too, have no doubts or fears about the future of this church. I truly believe that the church is getting stronger and stronger and it's because we've had an amazing leader...encouraging us all to STAND A LITTLE TALLER!

2 comments:

Heather said...

I remember that special meeting when he came to Tucson. I remember standing and singing "We Thank Thee Oh God for A Prophet" when he walked into the room. I also remember you getting the opportunity to shake his hand. He truly was the Prophet of our generation and will be missed.

AudyCamp said...

It has been such a great experience to read so many sweet tributes for our Prophet. He affected so very may people! Thanks for that. I'm jealous you got to shake his hand!!