Christmas this year was different...not quite the same as Christmas pasts. There's something about spending Christmas with little children that really helps get me in holiday spirits. Unfortunately, this Christmas was kind of "bah-humbuggy" (it is ok if I make-up words right?). I volunteered to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. After four years at St. Mary's, I've worked every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Needless to say, I'm getting a little bit tired of it. I would love to say that the motives behind this madness are completely altruistic, but I do hope to get something out of it in the future. I've graciously worked these holidays in the past so that those with small children could stay home with their families. (Like I said before, little children just make Christmas special). But, the more I work them, the more I realize that somebody better repay me the same favor when it's my turn! However, that is very unlikely to happen...so I will resort to using my bargaining power..."I've worked every Christmas and Thanksgiving for the last four years, so, you owe me four years off." Yeah right, we'll see how that goes. Anyway, other than being extremely short-staffed on Christmas Eve, they weren't too terrible of work days. We did have one code arrest on Christmas, and that always dampens the mood some.
Anyway, on to what little celebration we had. We spent the eve of Christmas Eve with Brian's family in Casa Grande. We had a nice dinner and a small gift exchange. We spent the night and left early the next day so I could work and Brian could study for his CPA exam. By the time we got home on Christmas Eve, we were exhausted and went to bed early. After work on Christmas (again, Brian put another full day of studying in at home), I headed up to Casa Grande so I could work our gym on the 26th. We didn't want to leave it unattended for too long and our manager/partner was on vacation. It was a good thing I was there because it was surprisingly busy. I didn't get back to SD until 10pm and Brian had to leave the next day for Monterrey, Mexico (he had an audit). So, you can probably see why Christmas was kind of sad this year...we didn't get to spend much time with family, or with each other for that matter. I can't complain too much though because New Year's made up for it!
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment