I was perusing some of my usual political blogs yesterday and one of them was encouraging readers to write a comment on why they are proud of their country. I thought this was a good activity, and while I didn't respond to that particular blog, I thought I would write some of the thoughts that I've been having.
I am proud of our country because it not only allows for, but encourages people to achieve their dreams. Where else can you be born on the bottom rung of the ladder and still have an opportunity to climb to the top?
I am proud of our country because of how it has overcome its trials of the past. I am proud that the country was able to reunite after the issue of slavery threatened to divide our nation. I'm proud of how after 9/11 the entire country rallied around each other in love and support. There truly were no party lines at that point--just a solemn resolution to uphold the standards that our founding fathers originally put in place.
I'm proud that our country cherishes is freedom so much that it is willing to sacrifice much to bring freedom to other countries--so that they can enjoy the great blessing of freedom as we do.
I have had many other thoughts and feelings, but I'll wrap it up here. I am just so thankful to live here at this time. While many complain that our country is going down hill or losing ground, I have a great sense of optimism. This is the promised land and there are still wonderful promises in store for our nation. As Latter-Day Saints, I feel we have an extra responsibility to be dutiful citizens...ensuring that the blessings of God will continue to rest upon this great nation.
So, why are you proud of your country?
Friday, July 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment