Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Birthday Shout-outs


Isn't she gorgeous?

Yesterday was my sweet sister Amy's 35th birthday! I can't believe she is 35! Even though Amy and I are nine years apart, and we didn't spend much of our growing up years together, I consider her one of my best friends. I love being able to call and confide completely in her. I can tell her my biggest weaknesses and frustrations without her passing judgment. And, she always seems to have the right answers or solutions. I'm grateful for her example. I'm sure going first and being the first girl wasn't easy, but I look to her in so many ways. She is a great mother to my darling nieces and nephews and I hope I can incorporate some of the wonderful lessons I've learned by watching her. Sisters are a real treat and I'm so glad to not only have her but lots of sisters-in-law too! I love them all like they were my own flesh and blood...what a wonderful group of women to learn from. Happy birthday Amy! I love you!



Hook did my hair and make-up for my wedding day! Of course, I ended up with the flu on my wedding day, so this pic shows me looking at little washed out.

Also, tomorrow will mark my dear friend Kristen's 24th birthday (aka Hook). Hook brought so much good to my life in the short amount of time that I knew her. We roomed together in college for two years and had an absolute blast. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about living with a young freshman when I was a sophisticated and mature junior, but I think Hook taught me more than I could've ever taught her. We became fast friends and laughter was quite common. She passed away just shy of four years ago, but she is definitely not forgotten. I think of her often and how I know she would absolutely love the way Harry Potter ended (she's the one that got me hooked on those books...it took her a while, but she succeeded), how she would die laughing with me at Napoleon Dynamite, how she would have loved the Twilight series, and last but not least how excited and supportive she would be with this pregnancy! She truly is a model of a perfect friend. To celebrate her birthday tomorrow, her mother, some of Hook's other friends, and myself will be going to the temple. I can't think of a better way to celebrate her! She was always giving of herself for the betterment of others, so why not follow her lead and help someone in need? I miss you often Hook, but am deeply comforted by my sweet memories and knowledge that our separation is not permanent!

2 comments:

Candace said...

What a beautiful tribute to two great women. I remember you talking about Hook as your roommate, but I was not aware that she had passed away. I think serving in the temple on her birthday is certainly one of the best ways you could honor her.

Amy Wright said...

Just read your post....July 3rd. Thank you! What a sweet tribute. Made my day....expecially as I've been feeling old and frumpy lately.:)