Your September 17th editorial states that Prop 102 is moot because Arizona already has a law prohibiting same-sex marriage. That’s what opponents of Prop 102 like to say, but unfortunately, they’re wrong. As we have seen in other states (California), judges are over-stepping their authority and re-writing the marriage laws of the states they serve. Prop 102 simply allows the people, not judges, to have the final say in defining marriage. That is its only purpose; it simply preserves Arizonans’ right to continue to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman. Our current law is insufficient and could be overturned by a judge. People have a right to live as they choose, but no one has a right to redefine marriage for all of society. Prop 102 is not, as you suggest, a vote against gays. Anyone who claims that it does anything other than define marriage either hasn’t read the language or has a personal agenda.
Your editorial also states that the ballot language for Prop 102 is needlessly long. I agree. Because Prop 102 is 20 easy words, the best way to know what it does is to simply read the language: Only a union of one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in this state. Pretty simple, right? One man. One woman. That’s marriage. If you agree that marriage is between a man and woman and that defining marriage is the prerogative of the people, not judges, I invite you to join me in voting YES for marriage by voting YES on Prop 102. Readers can visit www.YesforMarriage.com for more information.
Here is the link to the catholic vote video

2 comments:
Great job, Janette. You nailed it. Hopefully anyone that is still unsure how to vote will read your letter to the editor and once and for all, become informed.
See you at your baby shower on Saturday!
I admire your gumption and desire. Well done. I echo your thoughts and am glad you voiced your concerns to the editor.
Thanks also for your recent comment on my sugar endeavor. I am the same way, it is either all or nothing for me and that is dangerous! I am sad summer is coming to a close and my fruit selections will be limited.
Post a Comment