Thursday, October 9, 2008

An Obedient Son!

It probably isn't very likely that a mother gets to test her child's obedience while still in the womb, but I am proud to say that so far, we have a submissive child on our hands. I went in for my 37 week appointment on September 28th and found out that our little guy was breech. They pretty much never let first time mom's deliver a breech baby because of the potential complications. So, my options were to leave him be and have a c-section or to attempt to manipulate his positioning by a procedure called an external cephalic version. Basically, you get a medication through an IV to relax the muscles of your uterus and a doctor uses his hands and presses very hard and uncomfortably on your stomach and tries to flip the baby. This procedure can have some complications, like premature labor or put the baby in distress, but mostly, it is just WAY uncomfortable. I opted to try the version because I really didn't want to end up with a c-section. So, they scheduled me for the procedure the following morning. The version has to be done sooner rather than later, especially in first time moms because the uterus is smaller and can't accommodate too much moving around. It is unusual that a baby will flip completely on his own at this stage due to the lack of space.
Anyway, that night, as Brian was saying our prayers before we hit the sack, he said something in the prayer about the procedure that jogged my memory. My dad used to have this saying that he would use on the weekends when he'd make us get up early and work outside. He would first sing us awake by singing the following to the tune of "Reveille"...(the infamous Army wake-up call via the trumpet..you can listen to it here if you are unfamiliar with the tune.)

"I can't get 'em up, I can't get 'em up, I can't get 'em up this morning!
I can't get 'em up, I can't get 'em up, I can't get 'em up today!
Come on, put on your britches! Let's go and dig some ditches!
I can't get em' up, I can't get 'em up, I can't get 'em up today!

After we would begrudgingly arise from our slumber, we'd head outside for our next instruction. He'd tell us the day's work plan and then signal that it was time to start by saying, "HEADS DOWN! BUTTS UP!" That was our cue to get to work!

After Brian said, "amen," I told him about how my dad used to say that to us as kids. Then pointing to my belly, I said, "Son, this is the first of many times you'll hear this, I'm sure, but heads down and butts up!" We got a good giggle and went to bed. The next morning the ultrasound tech placed her probe on my belly and wouldn't you know it, he was head down and butt up! Just like we needed him to be! What an obedient boy! It was quite a relief to not need to have the procedure and certainly an answer to prayer. We still enjoyed having a full ultrasound and she estimated his weight at 7lbs 4oz. We are guessing that he will be an 8lb baby...which is no surprise since both of us were over 8 lbs. My family grows big babies...just ask my sister with her 10lb 1oz son and her 7lb 6oz and 7lb 4oz twins!

Anyway, today I had another appointment and the DR. went ahead and checked via ultrasound to make sure he was still in the right position--he was. So, at 38 1/2 weeks, he shouldn't have enough room to flip back the other way, but we will probably check him at every appointment from here on out just to be sure! Let's hope this obedient streak lasts for a very long time...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I should have known my Hailey was going to be the rebel type when she didn't flip for me!! Hailey was the same way...breach! They were going to try the version on me but said that she was too small to try to flip and didn't want to risk complications on what might be an IUGR baby. Her weight was fine when she was born but that dang girl never flipped. Funny now, cuz when i ask her to pick up her toys she says NO! fIGURES. cONGRATS on the flip...your almost there! OH i am jealous. good luck with everything. I'm sure he'll be perfect.

Dan and Louise said...

What a good boy! How are you feeling about the carseat? Do you hate it? Do you love it? I think you did a fantastic job on it!

Heather said...

What a nice boy! That is great. And only 10 more days!! Good luck with everything.

Jamie Sue said...

I've never even heard of this procedure before a couple of weeks ago, when a friend of mine was going through the exact same thing. Her baby ended up flipping on it's own too, but then when she had her (3 days ago) she had flipped back, so they had to do the version anyway. :( So, I'm thinking you're next command to your obedient son should be "STAY!!" You can always threaten to spank his butt if he doesn't obey, it works for us! :)

Heather C. said...

Yea! I'm glad he turned. I like that phrase "Heads Down, Butts Up" I think i will use it (or a version of it) on my own kids. I hope everything continues smoothly. You are so close!

Kristen said...

Good boy! I love your shower post too with the watermelon baby carriage. That's cool. Enjoy your last few quiet nights of sleep:)

Amy Wright said...

I had to actually sing the song as I read it...:) We are getting WAY excited. Makes you miss Dad doesn't it???

Heather K said...

Wow what a blessing, hope things continue good and safely!