Introducing our newest addition--McRae James Skinner. He joined our family on Tuesday October 21, 2008 at 7:11 p.m. He weighed in at 8 lbs and 0.1 oz and was 21.5 inches long. Our big boy is a healthy and content little guy and we are ever so grateful.
My labor was pretty easy--thank you epidural--and I am recovering well. I was off and on pitocin for about 12 hours. My blood pressure dropped a little bit and his heart rate was a cause for concern at times but we were able to get him here safe and sound. He did have the cord around his neck (which explains the decelerations in his heart rate) but I had wonderful nurses and a great doctor. Once it was time to push, we had him here in 15 minutes...my doctor was impressed with that. I had quite a crew of coaches in the room with me (some planned, some not) but we wouldn't change anything about the experience. It was wonderful! Joining us during the delivery were my sister Amy, Mom Skinner, Cheyenne (best friend from high school), and all the way from the PI's--my mom and dad via the web cam! It was a wonderful, last minute revelation that my mom wouldn't have to miss his delivery after all. We kept her on Skype while she and my dad worked from their apartment that morning (it was the next day in the PI's) and they would just check in from time to time. Thank goodness for technology! Visiting shortly after delivery were Dad Skinner and my brother and sister-in-law Phil and Christina. Needless to say, this little boy has captured the hearts of many already. Amy stayed with us the next few days to help out around the house and we are so thankful for the time she spent with us. It was a great comfort to have her here with me. She is certainly one of my very best friends and this experience made me love her all the more. She is a great resource and confidant--I will definitely be picking her brain in the future as she is a wonderful mother.
I expected to be overcome with love for McRae and so that wasn't such a surprise to me. What was a surprise, however, is the extent to which my love increased for Brian. I guess I expected it to a little, but never even dreamed it would grow that much! Now more than ever, I am so grateful that he is the man I chose for eternity. He has been so good to me this past week--meeting my every need. Often times, the need is met before I even realize I need it. Some men seem to be intimidated by newborns but he is anxious to learn and participate. I am most appreciative.
Never before in my life have I felt so inadequate and equally hopeful at the same time. I've never yearned for, nor needed, the constant companionship of the Spirit as I do now. The idea of motherhood terrified me, and in many ways it still does, but I am filled with hope as I feel myself being sustained in the greatest calling I could ever possibly have. I've never been so grateful for womanhood as I am now--"gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal and eternal identity and purpose." I am thankful for the opportunity to be a woman and to accomplish the many things that only a woman can--we truly are special in the eyes of the Lord. It has always been my belief that the woman dictates the environment and spirit in her home. While others may contribute, no other influence in the home is felt as greatly as the woman's. Contemplating this belief is quite humbling and yet I feel great hope! I think I am gaining a small glimpse of what is yet to come and it only excites me.
I could go on and on, but no one cares as much about me as they do about pictures, so I better get some posted. We are grateful for our sweet, sweet boy...he has won us over!
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


18 comments:
Congrats! What a cute baby. He is so alert, it makes him seem "old". I have been waiting for the official news. Congrats again!!!
OH JANETTE! Your words, the lullaby and your BEAUTIFUL baby are bringing tears to my eyes. Nothing brings people out like a newborn! I love the picture of McRae with Grandma & Grandpa skyping in. I'm glad you have so much good help. Good luck and congrats to you both. And you'll have to change it the the 3 skinnys now!
I've been checking your blog to see if you have had time to post pictures. That video brought tears to my eyes. There is something so special about becoming a mother and learning to love your new role. Seems you are doing just fine.
Congratulations! Glad McRae is here safe and sound, glad your parents could participate and glad Amy was able to help you.
Oh Janette, the pictures and the music just made me sob. I have been feeling so apprehensive about how in the world am I going to be able to handle my own newborn in less than 3 months (making 3 children 3 years and under for me). And this just put it all into perspective for me. Thank you so much for sharing that, it was so beautiful. It reminded me just how precious these little ones are, and exactly how truly dependent we mothers are on the Lord's help in raising them. You will be a fantastic mommy, I am so happy for you!!
You put your words so beautifully so that I know you'll never forget those sweet moments and first few days of pure love! LOve the song & pictures of your precious baby boy. Congratulations!
He is beautiful and you look radiant. Thanks for sharing your words and family with us. I too love the picture and McRae and your parents, very special that they could "be" there.
janette, he is too precious! what a sweet, adorable little guy. isn't it a neat experience? and i'm so glad you shared your thoughts, because i totally feel the same way about the closeness with your spouse, but i never really expressed that to him, and i need to. after having a child, it's so clear why the church and our purpose is so centered around family. congrats!!!
Thank you for allowing me to be part of such a special time in your life. You will both be wonderful parents. I love ALL 3 of you SKINNYS:)
Congratulations! He's beautiful. Can't wait to join you in new mommyhood here in a couple of months.
Congrats! I have been anxiously waiting for news. He is so cute and I was inspired by your eloquent words. You will be a fabulous mom!
He looks so snuggly cute. I forget how small newborns are. I think he already smiles a little. Your post was very sweet. CONGRATS!!! I am so glad everyone was healthy and well. I like his name too!
What a beautiful post! I think you perfectly expressed the intense feelings of many new mothers. He looks like such a sweetheart! I LOVE that your parents were "there" for it!! HOW COOL! OH, and I LOOOVE his name! It was one of the names in our "name pool" for boys, but was just recently "kicked out" as I actually put it together with our last name...didn't fit. Maybe it'll make it in as a middle name. BUT I'm so happy you used it! Whenever I thought of the name McRae I could just picture this adorable little boy toddling around, so now my "vision" has come true!! Enjoy these precious moments and I hope you continue to adjust well. I am so happy for you!
JET!!! You're a MOM!! Crazy stuff!! I am so super excited for you! I'm glad I'm not the only one that shed tears watching your video, that was beautiful! What a cute little mama you are! I love you to pieces and I can't wait to meet your little guy one day! :)
Congrats, Jet! He looks like a cute little guy. And what a great name! Bringing a child into this world is a priceless experience. You are a great mom!
OKay so I know i'm a little behind the game but....CONGRATULATIONS! He is SO cute!
Congratulations!!!! Jet and Brian! McRae is such a cutie! I too am so glad to hear that everything went well and that everyone is healthy!
Loved the post and the pictures keep everyone updated!
I didn't get to tell you how proud of you I was. I am thankful for you and Brian. I am glad I was able to be there
(I've been a little behind on checking blogs lately...)
CONGRATS! He is beautiful! Isn't it amazing how much you love something so tiny? & he really does look tiny! :) Hope you're doing well!
Post a Comment