McRae eating his fruit art
I'm grateful to have friends who like to plan and organize get-togethers and events. Let's just say it's not one of my favorite things to do. I love the attending part, but the planning part stresses me out. My friend, Jeni, is especially talented at organizing and planning. (She does have her MBA after all.) When it comes to planning fun outings for children, she is incredible. This summer was no exception. She headed up a summer camp program for many families in our ward/neighborhood this summer. The kids were divided by their ages and there were three groups total. McRae's group had about 8 children in it. All of the moms took turns hosting a themed lesson one day each week and then there was always some sort of field trip/outing planned for later in the week. It was a great way to keep the kids busy and entertained throughout the summer without paying the huge fees that usually accompany such camps. For a free, 8-week camp, I think one, 3-hour lesson and activity was totally worth the price...even if it did require some planning and organizing on my part. :)
When we hosted, we talked about our health. We read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and discussed the different kinds of foods that are out there to eat. We learned that there are "sometimes" foods and then there are "everyday" foods. We also learned that how we eat effects how we feel and therefore what we feel like doing (run, jump and play vs. having a belly ache on the couch). For our craft, we made food art with fruit (colorful kabobs) and veggies (example above...the blue water is colored ranch dressing). For snack time, we ate our creations. Since we had fueled our bodies with good foods, we were ready for some active fun. We took the kids out back and played several different water games that required running, splashing, throwing, swinging a bat at a water filled pinata, and most of all...getting wet! The kids had a blast and we topped off all that fun playing with a very tasty "sometimes" food--homemade ice cream!



2 comments:
That sounds like an awesome lady. I wish she planned that out for my kids summer! Maybe someday I will plan it! We do playgroups and it is all fun until it is my turn to be creative and watch 6-8 kids for 2 hrs. AAAHHHH how did my Mom have 9 kiddos. =)
Dang it! I wish I still lived there to join in the fun. I am so jealous. Jeni is amazing...but so are ALL of you women. Loved the food creations.
Post a Comment