Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why are we talking about swimming in November?

Because I'm finally getting around to posting about our summer.  That's why!

 He thought my swim cap was pretty cool.

Our summer started off with two weeks of swim lessons for McRae.  He probably could've benefited from another year of the mom and tot class, but let's be serious...I just had a baby and getting into a swimming suit was out of the question.  :)  Besides, who would watch the baby?  Anyway, I was nervous to put him in the Level 1 class because he had developed a fear of water (or just being wet) within the last year.  But, we didn't really have a choice and so I signed him up for Level 1.  Yep...he screamed the whole first day.  Thankfully, Brian had taken him that day and then spent the rest of that afternoon at the community pool working with him.  He's got a one in a million dad, I tell ya.  The next day, he was a totally different child and the next two weeks went off without a hitch.  The kid still doesn't like to lay on his back in the water (which makes washing his hair REALLY fun) and is still pretty wary about putting his face in, but he made some progress and really learned to love swimming this summer.  Our gym got some regular visits for family swim nights and McRae still asks if we can go swimming every time I pull up to the gym.  Next year, son...you better believe it!  Until then, you can keep on making dad and me practice our swimming skills...you know, just so we don't forget.  (It was almost a daily ritual during swim lessons for him to come home and "teach" us what he'd learned that day.)

On the last day, the kids got to go down the slide.  He went down with his teacher, Kyle.  And now that I'm updating my blog and looking at photos, I realize how much McRae grew up over the summer!  Holy smokes!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Big brave boy! He is just beautiful Janette, really.